In Twelve Days We Move To Spain

I woke up and it felt like race day: your heart beats faster, you lose your appetite, you leap out of bed. Only twelve days until we leave for a twelve month adventure in Spain. Our list in Google Docs is four pages long (11-pt. font).

These are the things I’m excited about: the beach still being within fifteen minutes of where we live (goodbye Lake Michigan sand!), my kids coming home from school talking to each other in Spanish, the Wednesday outdoor market, clementines growing in the fields nearby (goodbye Concord grape vineyards), and this hope that Spain itself is going to slow us all down.

Maybe it’s the pace of all the midnight bedtimes as we get ready for our trip that has me salivating after a slower life, (wait–Spain’s average bedtime is midnight!), or maybe it’s the mad-rush of both school and friends to stuff everything into the lovely weather of spring, or maybe it’s just life with three kids, but I need less of something. Less schedule, less packed-in-packed-up like sardines kind of life.

I’ll let you know what I find. I do know that most of what has changed me I’ve learned from other people, especially people who are different from me, and we’re about to cannonball into that. So we shall see.

And if nothing changes about the pace of our lives, oh well…at least for twelve months we will drink gazpacho (even delicious from the grocery store carton), crunch into baguettes rubbed with tomato and smooshing out warm egg and potato, and dip churros into hot chocolate thick as pea soup.

Maybe we’ll keep a running tally of our weight gain in a fundraising thermometer here on the side of my blog.

For now, we are stuffing everything we will take with us for a year into seven bags and five backpacks. Yahoo!!!

7 Comments on In Twelve Days We Move To Spain

1. Nancy
    June 20, 2017 at 4:19 pm (4 months ago)

how lovely! have a great year. slowing down sounds great.

• sarahfuste
      June 21, 2017 at 6:22 am (4 months ago)

Thank you, Nancy!

2. Shirin
    June 20, 2017 at 7:20 pm (4 months ago)

Ah, such lovely and solid images of a longing for something much less tangible…many blessings on how this year unfolds, regardless of its specific fruits…!

• sarahfuste
      June 21, 2017 at 6:22 am (4 months ago)

Thank you, Shirin. I am excited and looking forward to learning whatever it is I get to learn. =)

3. Marc
    June 21, 2017 at 7:12 am (4 months ago)

Enjoy your new adventure! Take it all in. I’m so excited you get this opportunity with your family. We will miss you guys but as long as you save some pan con tomate for us, it will all be good.

4. thornolio
    June 22, 2017 at 5:00 pm (4 months ago)

Southern Spain has no idea of what’s coming. The Fuste family has more sunshine in its midst than a Spanish day in mid-July. The yearnings for less intrusion into family life will give way to the fascination of new places, new faces and turn into new paces, as this energetic Fuste clan descends on the rainy plains of Spain. I know cuz i’m related – and spell-bound at the same time – at how this team invites adventure and absorbs new experiences. I’m envious and excited at this – their newest undertaking. With Melanie (Ms. Inquisitive) at the helm, and Tito and Lydia in tow – this could be the renaissance of the Spanish Inquisition bar none. God Bless you in this grand tour. I just hope my grandkids will remember English when they return, so I can hear of all their exploits in the only language I know.
    Poppy

5. Shawna
    June 23, 2017 at 11:14 am (4 months ago)

Ah, you haven’t relocated yet. Reading this, I am delighted for you. Slowing down sounds wonderful. There is much to be said for the influence of language as well. <3 Happy journeying!